YEAR 1 AIM
GPSTs will have a better understanding of resilience and why this is important. They will have the opportunity to explore and develop their personal resilience, including the key attributes of self confidence, social support, adaptability and purpose, underpinned by greater self awareness (including but not limited to character strengths, needs and values).
At the end of the year, GPSTs will
- Understand their personal challenges of being a GP trainee and GP
- Understand the nature and components of personal resilience and its significance in GPST
- Understand the concept of personal needs, know what their needs are, and develop strategies for addressing them
- Understand the concept of character strengths, have identified their strengths and established how to use their strengths more effectively
- Understand the concept of personal values, have identified their core values and have developed strategies for honouring them
- Understand the concept of organisational values
- Have considered how this greater awareness can be applied to build and maintain their resilience.
- Understand how all of the above impact upon our interactions and relationships at work
Delivery of this programme will build resilience through development of:
- Self confidence
- Sense of purpose
- Social support
As well as working directly on developing these functions, their development will be facilitated in part through better self awareness.
- 2 hrs on induction day
- Large group teaching
- Small group work (2 monthly)
- One to one work with trainer
- Self directed study
- What is resilience, why is this important?
- What are our needs, how can we get them met?
- What are values, what are our core values? How does that differ from organisational values? How do I honour my values? How will this help me?
- What are character strengths, what is my character strength profile? How do I play to my strengths? Why is this important?
- How do I apply this understanding? How can I build my own resilience whilst honouring the needs and values of others?
POSSIBLE MASTERCLASS SUBJECTS
- Avoiding burnout
- Coaching skills
- Nonviolent communication